Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Sentry

Every year I make my way through my inventory of favorite grouse runs. I return to some in hopes of experiencing incredible moments of days gone past. This is a story of one such place. A moment in time to never be forgotten but serving as a reminder of just how special it is walking through this country where sharptail grouse have endured the harsh climate to raise broods year after year.

A decade ago I discovered a 2 square mile area that had everything sharptail needed in abundance. A mix of rolling hayfields with high hills surrounding it along with crop land and federal waterfowl production acres. Plenty of nesting, food sources and winter cover.

This population was more predictable in some years than others depending on crop rotation in the early season. The years when the 320 acres of crop land in the center of the area was alfalfa used by birds to raise their young provided incredible opportunities for the setters and I. When it turned to crops making the birds less accessible the game became more difficult but the birds were always there someplace within that 2 square miles.

During one of those tougher years the setters and I had searched to the far south side for the birds on high ridges around a waterfowl production area. We headed on a line for the highest point I knew had a cluster of buffalo berries at the very top. A vantage point I also knew would be a favored spot. The setters became birdy as we approached with Mick going on point first just off the crest of the hill. I gave it everything I had in me to catch up and get on top making it just to the edge when the most beautiful flush of a covey I had ever seen took flight. Birds ascended in a circle around me going straight up and then looking down at us the intruders. I made my choice and took one bird from what was a dozen or so and watched the rest fly out over the landscape. Incredible I thought knowing that moment would be one I'd never forget seeing those birds in full display rising from a place only sharptail would be. There's no doubt they watched us from afar as we approached. In the early season you just sometimes get lucky and get close enough as we did on this perfect day.

Yesterday the 8th day of the season of 16' I made that walk again as I have every year since hoping to see a covey flush from that same spot. It's still unchanged. The same circle of buffalo berries around a small rock pile. Off to the right is a lone bush surrounded by more rocks. It's about 6 feet tall and last year as we approached I saw a lone sharptail with it's neck extended feeding on berries. I stood and watched and then walked in until the bird flushed within range but declined the shooting opportunity content with seeing the "sentry" no doubt guarding this special place. So on this day as we approached again a lone bird flushed from the same bush and I was content once again with the "sentry" reminding me of that special moment I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment